Sunday, October 17, 2010

Module II Everything is connected

Explain - What new learning have I taken from this module?
"Everything is connected" was a great synopsis of how Native ways of knowing relate to Western science.  I found the Venn diagram to be a great visual of the ways the two systems differ and where they converge.  Having read books like "The Tau of Physics" and "The Whale and The Supercomputer" (both of which I highly recommend in the context of this course), I didn't find these concepts new, but these ideas cannot be reinforced enough.  The specialized fields of modern science can learn a valuable lesson from the holistic Native view of the world.

Extend - How can I use this week's resources and/or others in the community in my lessons?
I found the "Earth as a System" video to be a great summary of how the different disciplines of Earth Science can by synthesized into a single world view that approaches the holistic Native view of the planet.  It is a great visual and, I believe, very appropriate to show to students at almost any point in almost any science class, though particularly apt in an Earth science class.  I also thought that the YouTube video was a great motivator and I will show that in my classes, this week.


Evaluate - How useful, insightful or relevant are this module's information and resources for me?
I found the trip to Google Earth to be very useful.  Though I have fooled around with it a little in the past, I find that the newer version has great potential in the context of this class and of the classroom, too.  Though our district uses the discoveryeducation website, I found that Teacher's Domain will be very useful.  The two sites are similar, but it never hurts to have more resources at your fingertips.

Three Comments
I enjoyed Alicia's Science Exploration blog, her take on the Venn diagram and views of her pre-wedding-day home.
Amy's Explore Alaska site was refreshing to see Alaska through the eyes of a first-year bush teacher and Cheryl's Explore Palmer site drew fascinating parallels between scientists' views on the behavior of electrons, Native ways of knowing the world and her driving record.

No comments:

Post a Comment